Monday, February 12, 2007

Uneventful

Saturday (my birthday) was pretty uneventful...I think that as you get older, it's just less and less of a big deal. Anyway, since I was at Northwoods from about 1:00 to 10:30 on Saturday, we celebrated on Sunday.

It's become a tradition the last couple of years, that I make a meal for my birthday, and usually just invite my mom & dad over for dinner. So last night I revived the chocolate New York style cheesecake that we made for New Years except that I made a chocolate whipped cream topping. I made just a simple bruschetta (tomatoes, basil, salt & pepper) and then for the main course, I made penne alla vodka, a delicious red cream cream sauce with a little bit of spice. I'll make it again for sure!

For the second straight year, I got perhaps the best gift ever. Some good friends of ours, as a birthday gift for me (and for Jennifer also) give us one night out a month for a year, while they watch the kids! Okay...it's Chris and Bethany! (they deserve credit...especially w/ #4 coming this year!)

2 comments:

Hite said...

I thought we were gonna team up for that dish? Man....

Oh well. Glad to hear it went over well. Now you can tell me what you would have done better so I can make it for Molly!

Seriously, we need to collaborate again soon. This weekend I made the Parmesan-Crusted Chicken out of Cooks Illustrated and put it with a Garlic-Herb sauce over Farfalle pasta. And then of course I used the Cook's Extra recommendation and and made the Orange and Radish Salad w/ Arugula. Very good!

Anonymous said...

You guys and your food talk just makes my mouth water. I may make a trip to Peoria and just let you cook for me for a few days! :)

Glad you had a happy bday Charlie.