Friday, October 20, 2006

I wish there was a word

Two weekends ago I spoke on the mainstage at church. And afterwards, several of my friends, coworkers, etc. -- who were not able to be there stopped by my office, or called me on the phone to ask that dreaded question... "So, how'd it go?" I know they mean well, but there's not really a great answer. "Boy, I really sucked." -- sounds falsly modest. "I was awesome." -- sounds pretty arrogant. I struggle with what to say. I wish there was a word for this: "You know, I really worked hard, and I felt like I stewarded my gift to the best of my ability. I'm leaving the results, and the evaluations up to God, because I feel like I did my part the best I know how. I know it wasn't the best talk ever given. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't the worst either. And I'm okay with that. On most days my ego isn't so big that I think everyone walked away awed by how great I am. But at the same time, I don't think people were running for the door or staring at their watches. I'm content that I faithfully did what I was supposed to do."

No comments: