- I tried to get evangelical Christians to join me in this, but I couldn't because we were so quick to nail people for their sin.
- One shift that I began to make is that people aren't all that different, either side of the cross...for example, just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you've figured out money.
Where do leaders go when they're broken? Do you have a "come as you are" culture for leaders in your church?
- We have a leadership process in place in our church -- we are very intentional about shepherding and caring for those in leadership.
- At the same time, it's really messy in terms of our leadership -- the thing that's been difficult in the past year, is that past patterns of sin creep back in, so Matthew 18 has been a huge reality for us in the past year.
If you were doing a series on the top cynicism of millenials, what would they be?
- there are certain issues that are "hot-button" issues that lead people to Jesus or turn them away. you have to understand the "hot-button" issues (in their culture: what about gays? what about other religions?) When you talk about these issues, you don't use the shotgun approach and just spray sideways comments about...you use a rifle and go right after the issue honestly and directly.
- People aren't necessarily interested in your answers to those questions, but more your attitude.
We (Christians, non-Christians) are NOT THAT DIFFERENT! (we don't have it all figured out!!)
McManus: "So what you're saying in the most diplomatic way possible, is that is you aren't a 'come as you are' church, you're not a church."
It's really not possible to teach the whole counsel of God in the course of year -- especially when people come every-other-week. So you have to pick some themes and go after them. So we push people to get into Scripture themselves. (JB)
How do you handle divisive people?
- God doesn't give us a method...he gives us his Spirit...and so we trust the discernment of the Spirit and observe the trajectory of their lives.
- I don't know how to change a drug addict...I have a hard enough time knowing what God's trying to do in my life...but I can help them take the next step -- I can listen to the Spirit and follow his leading.