Friday, August 12, 2005

Session Five: Blanchard & Maxwell

GOOD MORNING! First off, they started this session with a GREAT drama. It seems like they've scaled back on a lot of the programming this year, but this drama killed! It was basically a modern portrayal of the disciples Peter and Andrew trying to understand what the heck Jesus is saying. Guess you have to be here! Hybels is kicking off by talking about finding your "sweet spot" -- that place where you are doing what it is that you were made to do. This session is an interview with Ken Blanchard and John Maxwell and the topic is "When Your Calling Changes." Here's some good quotes: KB: "Disillusioned learners bolt...so what you've gotta do is be around to pat their back." KB: Seagull Leadership..."You fly in, make a lot of noise, dump one everyone, and fly out." KB: We've got to raise Jesus up on the walls of the churches and stop this stupid fighting -- competing with each other..."I get so discouraged when I see the bickering and foolishness when we've got the greatest relationship..." JM: Even though I believe that leadership is always about getting out of your comfort zone, it is critical for leaders to remain in their gifted zone -- the area of their primary gift(s). (He's talking about his journey from being a pastor to doing what he's doing now.) JM: "We're not always sure where we are going, but as long as we know we are following Christ, it's like getting out of the boat [reference to drama], we know we're okay, following Christ." JM: On 25 Ways to Win With People [his new book]: "People get can't on with you if they can't get along with you." How to add value to people: 1. Value People 2. I have to know and relate to what they value 3. I have to make myself more valuable because then I have something to give. JM: "Remember what Bonhoeffer said that a follower of Jesus doesn't always know where they're going except that they're following Jesus." Surfing a little bit...check out this article. [WARNING this has NOTHING to do with Leadership Summit!] Okay session, nothing earth shattering, but some good discussion about Blanchard and Maxwell's journeys. Admittedly, I'm not a huge Maxwell fan, his new book sounds decent, although it sounds a lot like How to Win Friends and Influence People.

1 comment:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

I've seen that drama and I LOVE it! It's one of the best illustrations of a bible story I've ever seen enacted on any stage. It made me laugh, but it also made me feel a little of the awe that the disciples must have felt witnessing those miracles.