Thursday, August 11, 2005

Movies and Such

Last night I took our 4-year old son Caleb to his very first movie at an actual theater. We saw Herbie Fully Loaded. It was too stupid to even comment upon...but what was I expecting? We're talking Herbie here? In the car I asked Caleb what his favorite part of going to the movie was, and he said pretending to play a video game on the way out (which we could have done for free in the first place). Oh well! Which reminds me of a post I've been meaning to write. About a week ago I went into Caleb's room just before bedtime and asked him what he was doing because I had heard him yelling. He said that he was teaching the kids that if they disobey God he will "never, ever, ever, love them again." (He sounded like a fundamentalist preacher) Anyway, I got to sit down with my son and have a theological conversation with my son about grace...it was really cool. The other movie I watched last night, after the kids were in bed, was The Life Aquatic. Jennifer and I are longtime Bill Murray fans. But his movie was dumb, dumb, dumb. I know there are people who are big Wes Anderson fans, but I just don't get it. I don't see the humor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've said it once, and i'll say it again: you're mad (this time on wes anderson).

to be fair: it's my least favorite of the quadrilogy, owen didn't cowrite it, and it'll be tough to ever top rushmore.