Thursday, July 21, 2005

A Breath of Fresh Air

I was sitting in a meeting the other day, having a tension-filled discussion, when someone further up the organizational food chain said something like, "I want to own my own bad attitude. I made this situation worse because I felt like I was in a bad position." How refreshing that somebody in a leadership position is willing to own their own crap! I admire that so much! I hate the mentality among many leaders that says, "never let them see you as weak." If "weak" means that you own up to your own shortcomings, then I'd rather follow a "weak" person than a strong one any day of the week, especially if "strong" means that one never apologizes, never admits to doing anything wrong, etc. I've just been thinking through a bunch of leadership stuff lately and trying to figure out how to be one!

No comments: