Saturday, April 09, 2005

For the Love of John Irving

Most nights I lay in bed and read for about an hour to an hour and a half before falling asleep and realizing that I don't remember the last paragraph or so. However, in the process of building our house (when I was too tired to read more than a paragraph) I've gotten out of the habit and instead have tended to waste my time with late night television (although I'll admit, if Conan was on earlier, it would be a priority to at least catch the first half hour). So the other day, when I was at the library, I picked up The World According to Garp, by John Irving (most of you would probaly recognize him as the author who wrote The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany which was made into the movie Simon Birch). Anyway, The World According to Garp, was Irving's fourth novel and the first that really got broad appeal. It's typical Irving -- gritty, eccentric and at times a bit odd, but he has a way with the language that keeps me totally engrossed and at times laughing out loud (I was getting strange, sideways glances from my wife last night when I couldn't stop laughing about a paragraph that I was reading). So I guess there's not a significant point to this post except that I really like reading John Irving -- he inspires me to want to write more...which I guess scares the heck out of me...but that's a post for another day.

No comments: