Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Appropriate Smallness

I was looking through the passages that I've underlined in The Life You've Always Wanted (still, in my opinion, the best small group book out there) and I came across this extended quotation and laughed to myself: "Here is the problem: When I try to do something good, I am intensely aware of it. And I tend to be aware of other people who aren't putting forth the same effort. Then I tend to think they should: I start to compare my effort with their sloth. The result is pride, comparison, judgmentalism, and a lack of love. (Ironically, these people may be more virtuous than I in a thousand other ways; they may have received much less support and encouragement and teaching than I -- but these thoughts are less likely to occur to me.) One of the hardest things in the world is to stop being the prodigal son without turning into the elder brother." I do this all the time! It's so pathetic!! I've been on the other side of this before...it hurts.

No comments: