Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A good book

To me, the mark of a great book, is whether or not it is still stimulating thought months after reading it. A couple months ago, I finally got around to reading the book Let Your Life Speak, by Parker Palmer. It's really caused me to ask some deep questions of myself about what God has made me to do. It not an easy question to answer, and I think that at some level, I will wrestle with it my whole life. But right now I'm full in inner angst and turmoil. I've always been a "jack of all trades" kind of guy, but I feel like I'm coming to a point in my life where I need to get serious, grow up, and make something of myself. But what? It seems every conversation points me in a different direction. Finding me isn't easy work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if it's any consolation... you're way ahead of where i was at your age. man... i sound old!

but the answer to "who is the real ckd?" is closer than you realize. just ask your kids and your wife. they'll tell you!

erichapman said...

why don't you just write a book about that?

about not knowing what your specifics are.

i know i'd read it.

Chris said...

Do you think you will ask this at every stage of life? It seems like for me (in my short life) I ask this same question a lot.

charlesdean2 said...

i think you're right Chris, this will never be a question that you answer for the last time -- it will always come back again!