Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Choice

On the way back from my noon shower (read previous post), I was listening to NPR and there was an article about Barry Schwartz' book The Paradox of Choice. (Here's an earlier post.) Anyway, the article quoted a proverb (not a Biblical one, but a proverb none the less.) Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. They were talking about how some researchers believe that one of the paradoxes of the proliferation of choices we America's have about virtually everything is that we can never be satisfied, leading to mental anguish. For example, as soon as I buy a computer/T.V./iPod there's a better one out a month later that makes me bummed. Jennifer and I, sometimes just make a decision without seeing all the options. I know that some of you think we're crazy, but frankly I don't need the stress. I don't care if I can buy item X for 1% cheaper at another store. It's not worth the time/stress/etc. to hunt things down. I don't care if store X has colors A, B, & C, but store Y also has it in pink -- it's just not worth it, most of the time. Simplify is the word of the day.

1 comment:

David Rudd said...

great book. it helped marianne and i recognize why we make decisions the way we do. "maximizing" vs. "satisficing"...

i think it has significant lessons for churches as well.