Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Whatever I Fear

Whatever I fear the most is whatever I see before me
Whenever I let my guard down, whatever I was ignoring
Whatever I fear the most is whatever I see before me
Whatever I have been given, whatever I have been
From the song "Whatever I Fear" by Toad the Wet Sprocket. I'm not ready to talk about this fully yet, except to say that for some time I've been recognizing a need/desire/goal/path for my life that I'm absolutely afraid of and so I've been doing nothing, and it has to change. I'm not generally a person that is stymied by fear, but I'm afraid of failing, of not being good enough, of embarassing myself...I've never felt this way very often, and I don't like it.

6 comments:

Dan Luebcke said...

I am reminded of Eljah's words to the widow, "Don't be afraid." It's so much easier to hear these words than live them. I have found in my own life that I am paralyzed by the fear of the unkwnown in the future. I am at the edge of a cliff and there is a dense fog ahead of me. I can't turn back, but I am not sure if when I jump HE will catch me. Someday I will jump.

Anonymous said...

"When we fear God and God only, we are no longer bound by all of the other fears that would hold us captive. The fear of death, the fear of failure, the fear of rejection, the fear of insignificance- all of the fears that know us by name and haunt us in the dark of the night become powerless when we know the fear of the Lord. And if this is not enough, we discover that perfect love casts out all fear. When we fear Him, we in essence begin to live a life where we are fearless." from The Barbarian Way. Be encouraged, because the bigger the fear, the more we are asked to trust the Lord, and the closer we get to our Creator.

David Rudd said...

i'm afraid of snakes and large caterpillars...

do you ever wonder if guys like peter and john sat on their fishing boats day after day with this impending sense that they were called to do something, but they weren't sure what, and they weren't ready to leave the security of their boats and their families? then Jesus comes along and says, "Follow Me" and all that discomfort and tension was gone because they were so certain that this was their calling...

or maybe not.

charlesdean2 said...

Good comments all!

Dan -- my sentiments exactly! Someday I'll jump...but right now I'm trying to get the nerve!

Ximena -- good quote. I may have to read that book now!

Dave -- I hope they did, and in the words of Yoda..."the future -- hard to see it is!"

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Your students quote the Bible. You quote Yoda. That will lead to suffering.

charlesdean2 said...

DING, DING, DING.
"A winner we have!"