Monday, November 21, 2005

On Deuteronomy

A couple months ago I started listening to the Bible every day on my way to work on my MP3 player. Here's my admission -- it's tough getting through the pentateuch! I know that it's chic to be into the OT (ala Rob Bell). And I really do love a lot of the OT, but right now Deuteronomy is killing me and every morning it's a battle not to just give up and skip ahead to Joshua. (I do much better with stories!) I feel a little bit like a slacker -- here I have an M.Div. and I'm struggling with listening to the Bible! Not sure why I felt the need to share.

5 comments:

erichapman said...

Oh man, I TOTALLY agree. All that "begatting" in the OT is enough to put someone to sleep. The high points really are the stories, and the low points being all the "law." It's very hard to get excited over the OT.

David Rudd said...

perhaps the reason you struggle with it is because we don't do a very good job making some of those books relevant to our life. we're so strong with "NO LAW" that we fail to see the good in the law.

i don't have a solution. i often find myself avoiding those books when they come up in my reading schedule.

Anonymous said...

I thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing about a year ago. I lasted 2 days. It wasn't that I couldn't handle Genesis, it was that there was just no enthusiasm in his voice. I ended up just tuning out.

charlesdean2 said...

Actually the reader is excellent -- and it's The Message I'm listening to, which helps.

It's the relevancy thing that trips me up, I think. I have flashes of insight, and some "Aha" moments, but mostly my mind wanders.

This really does bug me. I mean I've heard many a "superchristian" glow about how much they love God's word. Am I a spiritual hack? Or are those people disingenuous and what they really mean is that they love the parts of God's word that they like/understand/prefer?

David Rudd said...

too often, i'm afraid they love the parts that they can twist to fit their agenda...

that sounds overly cynical.

i do love God's Word. but i'm the first to admit that i don't put feet on that love enough...