Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Geeking Out for a Moment

"Our point is that "objectivity" does not set us free from oppresive regimes. In fact, every modern theology has hidden behind the facade of scientific objectivity. To be postmodern is to say, enough! Enough of this kind of objectivity. Indeed, to be postmodern is to not be able to "get over" these holocausts, but rather to allow these events of radical evil to bring into question the whole Enlightenment ideologgy of objectivity."
I read this in a book that I am reading (Colssians Remixed: Subverting the Empire, by Brian J. Walsh and Sylvia C. Keesmaat) and it captured something that I've tried to put into words, but have never been able to in such a concise and clear manner. I think that this leads to how many of us "postmoderns" feel...skeptical about "absolute Truth" claims but at the same time optimistic that there is some kind of truth "out there." In other words, just becuase I am skeptical about an individual or particular groups' "absolute truth" doesn't mean that I don't believe in "absolute truth," just that I'm skeptical about their claim to have somehow mastered it. (This thought could be developed further, but I need to get home for the day!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing about absolute truth is that it isn't subjective (the absolutism is built into the name)